Sound is the factor which holds it together – Dr. Hans Jenny
What is the Element?
The Element is a music blog, created in December 2012, and updated sporadically as and when I find the time to do it.
Who writes for the site?
Just me! My name is Alex, and I’m currently living in London. I hail originally from Brighton, on the south coast of the UK. If you’re into twitter, you can find me at @AlexCourtnage
What’s the point?
The world of music is filled with opinions. When a person hears a piece of music, they will often know instantly whether it is to their liking, or whether they’d rather burn the artists CDs and send them hate mail over social network sites. Music often motivates, provokes, and in many circumstances divides individuals. Many music-related websites, magazines, blogs, and journalists nowadays tend to approach music objectively, as though it can be categorised, given a rating and then classified to either be “good” or “bad” music. What I aim to do here is approach music in a way which recognises that different music speaks to different people in different ways, and so instead introduces and describes the music, rather than simply pointing out flaws.
How is the blog structured?
Generally speaking, articles are divided into five categories:
– Introductions – Introductions to artists, providing background information, current discography, any future live dates and more.
– Reviews – Single/Album/Gig Reviews!
– Discussions – These articles discuss music developments, or factors of the music industry, that are currently contentious or simply interesting.
– Recommendations – recommending tracks or albums for you guys to listen to.
– New Releases – Notifications of new album, EP, video or single releases, which may contain mini-reviews.
I hope you enjoy the different articles on here, if you have any suggestions please feel free to comment.